donealrice

Debbie's Spurts

A Dance of Blades
David Dalglish
Progress: 10 %
For Love of Mother-Not (Pip and Flinx Adventure Series #1)
Alan Dean Foster
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)
Jennifer Estep

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Blood Trade" (Jane Yellowrock #6) by Faith Hunter

Blood Trade - Faith Hunter

Re-Post of 6/16/2017 review now that there's a bookclub for series:

I like Jane.  I enjoy this series.  I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

This one ... just somehow didn't measure up to the first five.  Filler maybe?

Flat might be a better word -- in comparison to earlier books.  Seriously, this was a good read that fell short of expectations.  Everything below this is relative to previous books.

Flat on the action.  Nope, infodumps on guns and armament do not count.

Flat on the story and engaging my attention (okay so there were violin inducing catch your heartstrings innocents, people to rescue and urgency.).  The urgency and timing seemed very staged.

Flat on the romance.  Okay, that's unfair because no romance.  Same angst-y mess with all the potentials.

Flat on the characters (I don't count the introduction of insta-lust wish fulfillment one for  for one of the side characters or the brief redneck bashing where in Mississippi they have to have bubbas living in filth and drugs in a single-wide trailer ...).  I wanted more of Beast and Jane and Leo and everyone.

I really don't count the preachy part about Jane-the-contract-killer-for-money-once-bounty-legalized is too special to carry automatic weaponry cuz only purpose is to kill but okay with rest of her team using knowing the expected bad guys will be using.  That just added nothing except an eyeroll for the hypocrisy and a groan for probable repercussions. Nevermind how much armament she carried -- and described in great detail -- that may as well have been classed as full automatic.