donealrice

Bring Me Their Hearts
Sara Wolf
House of Earth and Blood
Sarah J. Maas
A Selection of Designs inspired by Iznik & Delft Pottery in Cross Stitch: 16 stunning floral cross stitch designs
Durene Jones
Ain't Love a Witch?
Dakota Cassidy
Progress: 1 %
The Old Witcheroo
Dakota Cassidy
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

Review of "Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)" by J.R. rain

Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1) - J.R. Rain

This reader's personal opinion, ©2012, all rights reserved.*

Update 2/24/2012 -- reading next in series and does seem to be picking up]

Mixed review here; but liked enough that I will read second book in series eventually because I bought the very well priced Kindle omnibus edition. Goodreads sample excerpt shown in their synopsis incredibly misleading as to how much action is in book. All that said, there is potential here.

Pros - well enough written, author chose correctly telling from main character's point of view (don't think it would at all have held my interest otherwise), quick read,

yes I am going to read at least enoug of the 2nd book to see if she gets her kids back

(show spoiler)

, kudos for not having everyone around her just casually accept she's a vampire, and I suppose author should get points for mixing so many genres - paranormal, PI/detective, urban fantasy, suburban housewife chick lit fiction, romance, etc. Not endlessly violent or graphically sex scenes so long you get bored with them.

Cons - author did a very tepid job with all genre aspects. Very watered down paranormal, detective, etc. Main character kinda drifted and just blandly accepted lots of stuff. The only big action scene is the misleading one shown in goodreads excerpt. Pretty nonexistent world building once you accept there is a vampire and a werewolf. The only neat or original paranormal aspect came towards end of book

when she got to shapeshift into something with wings and fly.

(show spoiler)

Plot and character background not very believable at best and tepid at worst -- for example, she's supposed to have been a federal agent and what we see of it is that that's how she can call up an agency and get them to do the cooler research like tracing cell phone numbers. Former fed agent blabs all to unknown guy in chat room in detail. In a gym where she learns boxing, out of the blue as there's no violence or kickass stuff, she kicks a stranger in the balls to make him box a girl--just hung out there for no apparent reason. No explicit sexual situations and while I'm sure most readers know where the romance/love-interest is going there's too much of this unhappily-married-put-upon person noticing how sexy the UPS guy, the bartender, the client, the cop, the would be rapists in goodreads excerpt, the vampire killer and pretty much any male crossing her path is. Could really have used more in context kickass action.

And really, really not liking the limp rag aspect of just putting up with disappearing husband you know is cheating on you and not doing anything until he applies blackmail and takes your kids. Then the agreement to see them each weekend and talk each night keeps getting cut back and back until it's 10 minute conversation for both kids and vampire/pi/mom/wife does absolutely nothing but cry and whinge about it. Come on.

(show spoiler)

If the limp rag, whining aspect continues to second book I won't read rest of series. Again, after reading this first book I do think series has potential, but not yet overly impressed.

My reading progress updates from goodreads:

02/22     1.0% "Reading actually as part of 4 book omnibus/bundle"
02/22     3.0% "Early to tell too much about book but so far it's just a PI/detective type of book. Okay, PI is female, vampire and mother of two but otherwise pretty trope PI story so far"
09/20 marked as: my-shelf-category-i
09/20 marked as: i-rd
10/20 marked as: read
10/21 marked as: to-read
11/04 marked as: shelved-as-read-avoid-or-to-read
11/04 marked as: shelved-for-one-reason-or-another

*©2012. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher to reprint/quote in whole or in part. Copyrightholder posted on booklikes, BookRabbit, The Reading Room and may have cross-posted to other book sites. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Meh. Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. An "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." Author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them? Cannot imagine anyone liking.