donealrice

Molly Harper
The Hills Have Spies
Mercedes Lackey
Progress: 100 %
High Stakes Trial (Magical Washington #3)
Mindy Klasky
Progress: 100 %
Right Hand Magic (Golgotham #1)
Nancy A. Collins
Progress: 15 %
White Trash Zombie Apocalypse
Diana Rowland
Sisters of the Raven
Barbara Hambly
Progress: 100 %
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Tad Williams
Progress: 14 %

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Hard Magic (Paranormal Scene Investigations, #1)" by Laura Ann Gilman

Hard Magic (Paranormal Scene Investigations #1) - Laura Anne Gilman

This reader's personal opinion, ©2013, all rights reserved.*

Mixed feelings on this one.  I liked the story, the writing, the magic system, the worldbuilding and mostly the characters.  I enjoyed being in on the ground-floor of the paranormal agency coming into existence.  Not a whole lot characters fleshed completely yet other than the main character.  I'm likely to pursue the next in series, partly because their first case remains solved but with aspects unnsolved.

I mostly liked the main character.  Again, that was a bit mixed.  Part of the time I really liked her and being in her head.  Other parts were too YA for me, particularly brief moments in the beginning where obsessed with both expressing her individuality with hair and clothes and with appearing grown up -- not something most adults do, but that mostly faded away.   She was very believable as an investigator (none of that woke up one day suddenly given a special power or developed an interest in); very conscientious in the work she was doing.  The whole paranormal investigation unit part of story line was particularly well done and held my interest.

I read from a library ebook loan via Overdrive if anyone's library uses that system.

What did not fade away that annoyed me (presumably to leave possibilities open for subsequent novels?) was every bloody chapter or in some places a handful of times each chapter had to yak on about her sexual urges, responses, and how she was bisexual.

You'd expect this to be a smutty book but it was really weird because she kept dwelling on it but never doing anything about it.  Not bad purple prose type of nonsense, just really all lust and urges and a relentless insistence that we know she was bisexual.  Maybe author is, felt it was topical/trendy, was an anti-homophobic stance she wanted to take in light of current politics and other authors' public statements, maybe had a dear friend paying homage to or some other reason.  It just was oddly inserted into storyline, particularly as the other woman on her team was sized up and dismissed as potential lust interest and M.C. only lusted after guys throughout the book—neither here nor there for me, the character's sexual orientation, just that it was very repetitive and yet oddly never went anywhere.

Reading progress notes from goodreads:

10/20 marked as: to-read
10/20 marked as: currently-reading
10/31     5.0% "Barely started and barely getting the magic system down."
10/31     10.0%
11/02     20.0% "Just got interesting with tram of assorted powers meeting up. Started a bit New Adult self-involved chick seeking first job and had me worried--I really don't care about amy one's piercings or hair dying or wardrobe or what the "cool" or most true to self look is. But now is more like synopsis led me to think book would be."

*©2013. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher to reprint/quote in whole or in part. Copyrightholder posted on booklikes, BookRabbit, The Reading Room and may have cross-posted to other book sites. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Meh. Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. An "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." Author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them? Cannot imagine anyone liking.