donealrice

Molly Harper
The Hills Have Spies
Mercedes Lackey
Progress: 100 %
High Stakes Trial (Magical Washington #3)
Mindy Klasky
Progress: 100 %
Right Hand Magic (Golgotham #1)
Nancy A. Collins
Progress: 15 %
White Trash Zombie Apocalypse
Diana Rowland
Sisters of the Raven
Barbara Hambly
Progress: 100 %
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Cast in Peril" by Michelle Sagara

Cast in Peril  - Michelle Sagara

This reader's personal opinion, ©2012, all rights reserved.*

I'm not assigning a star rating to this one because I'm honestly not sure how to rate.

Our intrepid heroine is back…and I read the 500+ page book nonstop because as engrossing for me as the previous books in the series. It was that good. It also went absolutely no where. Seriously, I'm not sure there are any spoilers I need to avoid until very last line of book.

It was her plus the ongoing politics of he dragon court, fiefs, high court, assorted races, her career with the hawks—and actually this book had a more complex plot, including the mages, female dragon, her egg, the candle her powers are supposed to light, what hatched from the egg, more about exchequer embezzlement, more about almost every character from previous books (the last new added race rather absent) and another group trek to another Barani High Court ceremony, this time in the West Marches.

Of course still yet another race had to be introduced, the Hallione, with some similarity to the fief tower avatars. And more runes, words, alphabets, true names, new languages, new shadows, and in the end pretty much nothing …

they not only never made it to the ceremony they were getting to for 500+ pages but the last line of book literally says "And still the recitation awaits!".

(show spoiler)

I'm glad some storylines like what would hatch out of egg progressed—but none of the story lines/mysteries resolved. Frankly, the last line of book ending with an exclamation point was just insulting.

My reading progress updates from goodreads:

12/22/2012     1.0%
12/22/2012 page 28
12/22/2012     6.0% "Lots of excitement...new stuff, magics and places introduced. Versus wrapping up some existing story-lines or meeting the emperor."
12/22/2012     21.0%
12/22/2012     34.0%
12/22/2012     43.0%
12/22/2012     70.0%

*©2012. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher to reprint/quote in whole or in part. Copyrightholder posted on booklikes, BookRabbit, The Reading Room and may have cross-posted to other book sites. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Meh. Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. An "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." Author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them? Cannot imagine anyone liking.

Source: http://donealrice.booklikes.com/post/671246/review-of-cast-in-peril-by-michelle-sagara