donealrice

Bring Me Their Hearts
Sara Wolf
House of Earth and Blood
Sarah J. Maas
A Selection of Designs inspired by Iznik & Delft Pottery in Cross Stitch: 16 stunning floral cross stitch designs
Durene Jones
Ain't Love a Witch?
Dakota Cassidy
Progress: 1 %
The Old Witcheroo
Dakota Cassidy
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

My ongoing Judgment Day Challenge Status

Ticker Judgment Day Challenge

"Judgment Day Challenge" to cleanup samples on ereaders.  See here for challenge details but adjust to suit yourself.  It's working out very well for me to make myself read enough of a sample to judge before "allowing" myself to start a new book.  See further down page for my ongoing conclusions as to the book titles and whether I'll be reading the sampled books.

I'm doing both options starting now through November.

(1)  Judging at least 15 samples.

And (2) judging at least one additional sample before starting each new read.

Judgment scale:

✘ - disliked, will be skipping book

?  - unsure

✔ - okay

♡ - liked

★- must buy

Samples Read/Reading:

★- Darkship Thieves by Sarah A. Hoyt - SF

? - Prayer for the Dead by Nicki Scalise - UF/PNR.  Pro: Different Worldbuilding (Purgatory); Con: unpleasant that departed souls need quota of appropriate prayers to move on.  Young chick of the dress up to go clubbing with gal pal and attract guys all the while making fun of guys taking the bait variety.  Book seemed poised to head for the fall for boy who is bad for me route and could lean more to the romance than the fantasy side.  Will watch for more comments and reviews.  No problems with the writing or the editing.

- The Naming by Alison Croggon SF/Fantasy  reminds me of Lessa in Dragonflight

- Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta epic Fantasy

♡ - The Bone Flower Throne by TL Morganfield, guess it's historical fiction, 10th century Mexico; MC a 7-year old in sample start; while I liked the writing and being set in an era/place not done to death, the genre isn't my favorite so would have to be in a mood.

♡ - Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid,  genre chicklit humor. Began as a must buy with funny crappy day she gets fired and geeky mindset, fizzled slightly with intense lust for security guard and potential turn into one of those bff girlfriend circle type of books.  But cheap and liked writing and character so no doubt will get around to.

? - Dark Wolf by Kate Douglas -- possibly erotic futuristic romance because just figured put is spinoff from her Wolf Tales series.  Weirdly this April 2013 publication has one of my favorite authors, Anne McCaffrey, reviewing as "…not for timid readers" which drew my attention to download sample.   Opened with naked magic rites and an apparently already developed and complex world with shapeshifting race Chanku.  Not usually an erotica reader and cannot imagine I'll read without first looking into the wolf tales now that I know is a spinoff.

✔- Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body by Jennie Marts

(chicklit/cozy mystery I need to be in mood for but seems small town funny)

- Unsticky by Sarra Manning.  Chicklit.  May head a bit too far into shopaholic territory but mc caught me up right away.

- Cursed by S. J. Harper.  I liked the writing and the character; urban fantasy but a somewhat unique worldbuilding.  Likely to pursue when in the mood.

- The Last Hour of Gann by R. Lee Smith - actually "disliked" is wrong.  The sample seemed harsh and grim so I trolled around reviews here and decided it's not for me As apparently stays harsh, violent, misogynistic and includes rape (not glorifying rape, treating it as a crime and an act of violence and the MC is not the victim) but not something I think I'll be in the mood for despite being Sf and having aliens who are alien.

- Persistence of Memory by Winona Kent

? - Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.  Chicklit (humor/parody?).  I liked the humor and the actually not very bitchy way it was poking fun at some things.  Will either be hilarious or get on my nerves with forced one liners.  (Unlike a sample of How Hard Can It Be which had a funny premise throwing out bad book ideas but sounded like could turn into a bitchy slambook type of thing the way it talked about other women characters.)

- Omens by Kelley Armstrong.  Urban Fantasy.  I liked sample but think I'll wait for more of series to be published and see if headed into fated mate, over-alpha male or instaluv territory.

- The Dark Heroine by Abigail Gibbs - I liked sample fine.  PNR or UF.  Might devolve post sample into chicklit with TSTL heroine in a British setting or could get really good.