donealrice

Beyond the Empire
K.B. Wagers
Heritage
Sean Brock
100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know: Engagement Chicken and 99 Other Fabulous Dishes to Get You Everything You Want in Life
Cindi Leive
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Love how author puts it in " Five Books That Improve Upon Heinlein’s Juveniles "

I love how article's author puts it:

"For me, that requires the intended audience to include teens, that the genre be science fiction in the narrow sense, that the protagonist be a young adult, and that they get to do something that actually matters in the course of the book."

I think that last is a big part of why some YA books, particularly SF ones, miss the mark with me.  I need something to matter, to make me care about the characters or turn the page to see what happens next; something to invest in.  Endless angst and who winds up with who and vain things don't cut it for me.  And, yes, I realize the Heinleins looking back are problematic -- particularly in gender issues -- but at the time they actually were progressive and did have females doing something other than being queen bee mean girls or underdogs needing rescue, being prizes or objects or worse merely encoujraging admirers.

Source: http://www.tor.com/2018/10/08/five-books-that-improve-upon-heinleins-juveniles