donealrice

Progress: 1 %
Magic Rises
Ilona Andrews
Progress: 100 %
The Black Company: The First Novel of 'The Chronicles of The Black Company'
Glen Cook
Immune
Shannon Mayer
Amazing Stories: Fall 2018
Steve Fahnestalk, Gary Dalkin, Robert Silverberg, Kameron Hurley, Julie Czerneda, Jack Clemons, Dave Creek, Drew Hayden Taylor, Paul Levinson, Shirley Meier, Allen Steele, Rudy Rucker, Lawrence Watt-Evans, Steve Davidson
Progress: 1 %
Witches With the Enemy
Barb Hendee

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Phone Scams Continue to be a Serious Threat, Remain on IRS “Dirty Dozen” List of Tax Scams

Just FYI for U.S. folk -- that's the IRS link about some scams; can report via email to phishing@irs.gov (and I did send the recording of a threatening voicemail I got to that email with a reply back that it was received but that due to volume unlikely to get a followup from IRS and the IRS does not contact people by email so any emails purportedly from IRS should be forwarded to report the phishing attempt.)

IRS notes in linked article:

"The IRS has seen a surge of these phone scams as scam artists threaten police arrest, deportation, license revocation and other things. The IRS reminds taxpayers to guard against all sorts of con games that arise during any filing season.

"Taxpayers across the nation face a deluge of these aggressive phone scams. Don't be fooled by callers pretending to be from the IRS in an attempt to steal your money," said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. “We continue to say if you are surprised to be hearing from us, then you're not hearing from us.”

"There are many variations. The caller may threaten you with arrest or court action to trick you into making a payment,” Koskinen added. “Some schemes may say you're entitled to a huge refund. These all add up to trouble. Some simple tips can help protect you."..."

Not book related but I just got annoyed by a voicemail on my cellphone that chopped off the start, then what sounded like automated female voice saying my lack of response over the past few months meant I was guilty of fraud and now being sued by U.S. government; calling that phone number from a public phone gets some guy speaking broken English saying is IRS (no department, title, etc.) and launching into asking me contact/personal details then hanging up when I ask to verify he is IRS and what extension I should punch in going from the 800 number on irs website to get back to him.

Sheesh, I'm not even sure the government normally sues people versus pressing charges, filing liens, issuing warrants, etc.

Betcha I'd immediately contact the folk behind tax software used if I ever did get a valid contact from IRS.  I haven't moved or provided alternate addresses to IRS where they couldn't have mailed me something over the past six months.

Just annoying today -- but, a very threatening phone that I can see being more upsetting and definitely attempting to scare people.

Source: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/phone-scams-continue-to-be-a-serious-threat-remain-on-irs-dirty-dozen-list-of-tax-scams-for-the-2016-filing-season