donealrice

Debbie's Spurts

A Dance of Blades
David Dalglish
Progress: 10 %
For Love of Mother-Not (Pip and Flinx Adventure Series #1)
Alan Dean Foster
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)
Jennifer Estep
Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires #6)
Chloe Neill
Alma Alexander
Progress: 100 %

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "An American Werewolf In Hoboken" (Wolf Mates Book #1) by Dakota Cassidy

An American Werewolf In Hoboken (Wolf Mates Book 1) - Dakota Cassidy

I knew going in that this was one of author's first books (with parts worked into later books).  I have no idea how to rate it.

I enjoyed her finding and adopting her "dog" she called Fluffy.  Loved how quickly she became attached and how the werewolf that was actually Fluffy didn't have the heart to stop being Fluffy because she cried so hard when once thought Fluffy was lost.

I know I would have enjoyed the story way more if the worldbuilding that was introduced well past the halfway mark had been introduced earlier.  The whole curse, the nature of their pack that took in so many disabled or ostracized others, the politics involved ... all would have immersed me more and made me care more about the romance/mate part.

Parts were hilarious.  The sex scenes (often introduced at chapter start) weren't particularly interesting because I wasn't invested in the romance part and it was wrong he wasn't honest.  They weren't badly written or anything, I just skimmed them as uninteresting parts on the way back to the charming, funny story bits I liked.  Again, I think that was partly the fault of the romance/lust development lacking the context that got introduced past the halfway mark.

Not finished with the author.  Likely to continue series (one of those that sounds like each book changes the main characters) for the bits of worldbuilding teased in this one -- but not in any hurry at all.