donealrice

Debbie's Spurts

A Dance of Blades
David Dalglish
Progress: 10 %
For Love of Mother-Not (Pip and Flinx Adventure Series #1)
Alan Dean Foster
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)
Jennifer Estep
Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires #6)
Chloe Neill

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Reading progress the 25% I committed to ... Nope, No, NO! … DNF

Kushiel's Dart - Jacqueline Carey

Phèdre once more hints that if she had only known then what was to come … ya know what?  I don't give a shit what's to come.  DNF.

I realize I let my impression of her childhood as being groomed into child trafficking color my opinion of this.

But, holy cow, what is in this for me to get into?  I'm not bowled over by the writing -- it's decent but hardly immersive or that excellent.  I don't like the society, the characters, the storyline of pandering out these kids even though as promised at the 25% mark she at least is sounding more adult, the so-called politics that are supposed to be such hot shit with this pederast's wet dream and justification of child abuse and slavery.

I usually DNF very quickly.  I held out hope that this one might pick up enough to make me forget the beginning chapters because so well-recommended and because was reading for a booklikes bookclub August read.  I hate to bail on a bookclub read ...

Ugh.

If you do want to join in the bookclub read, it's at http://booklikes.com/book-clubs/88/tor-monthly-free-ebook-science-fiction-and-fantasy

Source: http://booklikes.com/book-clubs/88/tor-monthly-free-ebook-science-fiction-and-fantasy