Debbie's Spurts

Too Like the Lightning
Ada Palmer
Progress: 11 %
A Wrinkle in Time (Time Series, #1)
Madeleine L'Engle

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi

Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) - John Scalzi

Bottom line:  I am going to read more in this series.

I loved it.  I'm not sure I should have been as amused as I was -- and the book did take almost nearly to the end to get more serious with more involvement in the characters.  The military aspect, colonization policies, ... all serious stuff making for unique, complex worldbuilding ( and yet for some reason laughable moments for me).

I really don't get -- beyond involving military -- all the comparisons with "Starship Troopers." I very much did find it remniscient of  some favorite classic SF writers like H. Beam Piper ("Uller Uprising"), Lester del Rey, and most certainly Robert A. Heinlein (just oddly not his "Starship Troopers," I think maybe because main character is an old man rather than teenage recruit that it has more an air of "Moon is a Harsh Mistress," "Time for the Stars" with its can't go back to exact same world, and any of the ones with old fart characters).

It was very well suited to a bookclub read.  Lots of fodder for discussions.  Plot broke well at chapter marks where I could conveniently space out to participate in group read.  Unfortunately, despite being a booklikes bookclub selection, I did wind up being the only participant reading it during assigned month.

The time it took to get me to invest in the characters who themselves did not seem particularly invested in anything or connected with anyone?  Well, that's how it lost a star away from perfect.