donealrice

Debbie's Spurts

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Progress: 1 %
Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
John Scalzi
Progress: 38 %
The Fate of the Tearling: A Novel (The Queen of the Tearling Book 3)
Erika Johansen
Progress: 1 %
An American Werewolf In Hoboken (Wolf Mates Book 1)
Dakota Cassidy
Progress: 56 %

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Miss Spelled" (Kitchen Witch, #1) by Morgana Best

Miss Spelled - Morgana Best

Well, I'm a sucker for the downtrodden, non-douchebag character getting a windfall and/or HEA.  Add in part of the windfall being two precocious cats ... had to check it out eventually.

This was a cute story with an unnecessary murder mystery added.  I suppose the genre is chicklit paranormal cozy-mystery.  Very light on the mystery, the paranormal and the merest spark of romantic interest but no actual romance past opening breakup with douchebag ex.  Her being a witch not explored yet in any depth.  The mysteries of her aunt, her new cats, new house, being a witch -- all would have been enough mystery without a dead body.

I liked the the story and the cast of characters well enough that eventually I might check the next in series out of the library when in the mood.  Could have used way more scenes with the cats, of course.

I put off reading because of mixed reviews:  many liking the book and many screaming to please get an editor.  In edition I just read — there were no semicolons where needed.  Commas were missing, inserted where not needed and/or flat out misused in some places.

I think my mood and the fact that it was a shortish book with mostly simpler writing saved me from DNF'ing over editing issues.  That said, I did start noticing and if book had been longer ... At any rate, I started counting semicolons and there either were none or I overlooked.

Semicolons = still zero.

★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept reading in hopes would improve.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)