donealrice

Debbie's Spurts

A Dance of Blades
David Dalglish
Progress: 10 %
For Love of Mother-Not (Pip and Flinx Adventure Series #1)
Alan Dean Foster
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)
Jennifer Estep

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Under Witch Moon" (Moon Shadow #1) by Maria E. Schneider

Under Witch Moon - Maria E. Schneider

This was surprisingly good.  A page turner of a mystery with paranormal elements.  If I was a bigger mystery fan, I'd likely rate it higher.

I liked the heroine, the world building stayed logical even with paranormal elements and her being a witch.  Not the devil worshipping, coven-controlled-hierarchy, or *poof*-gee-unexplained-powers-chicklit type of thing that irritates me in some books.  A well-written element of the book that added to the story.  No insta-lust/luv or fated mate stuff (a whiff of potential romance towards the end).

I'm likely to read next in series when in the mood.  I do want to know what happens next with the characters (and am even looking forward to the romance if it happens because guy wasn't a douchebag).  A tiny personal irritation -- that I also had with Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books that doesn't seem to bother most fans of that series -- is her knowingly putting one character in danger even though thinking it was wrong to do so (and spending part of the same book protecting same character).

I would not have guessed this a self-published book had I not already known before reading/buying it.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)