donealrice

Debbie's Spurts

A Dance of Blades
David Dalglish
Progress: 10 %
For Love of Mother-Not (Pip and Flinx Adventure Series #1)
Alan Dean Foster
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)
Jennifer Estep
Progress: 100 %

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of Room for Improvement by Stacey Ballis

Room for Improvement - Stacey Ballis

Mostly this was an okay read.  The premise was fun (what drew me to the book) and that part of the story was a fun, interesting one.

I failed to connect with the characters, though.  I almost questioned if author "Stacey" was male or female because of some character oddities.  Read a little like maybe some real life friends or acquaintances were drawn in.  Not into romance elements of this one at all.

Made me miss some earlier seasons of home improvement shows; had some elements that could have made for a great read (or at least a great beach read).

And part of that could be a generation or regional gap (for example, my personal circle of female friends aren't prone to discussing penises in detail or to making after midnight phone calls to take a break during sexcapades to describe the one currently in use).

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)