donealrice

Bring Me Their Hearts
Sara Wolf
House of Earth and Blood
Sarah J. Maas
A Selection of Designs inspired by Iznik & Delft Pottery in Cross Stitch: 16 stunning floral cross stitch designs
Durene Jones
Ain't Love a Witch?
Dakota Cassidy
Progress: 1 %
The Old Witcheroo
Dakota Cassidy
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Progress: 100 %
The Dragonbone Chair
Tad Williams
Progress: 14 %

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Witchstruck" (Tudor Witch Trilogy, #1) by Victoria Lamb.

Witchstruck - Victoria Lamb

This should have worked for me.  Paranormal set in Tudor times during Elizabeth I's banishment to Woodville.

Ugh.  Such petty, mean-spirited entitled characters.

Cannot believe was published in U.K. first as a Random House Children's book (in U.S. by Harlequin).  It's pretty dark with the type of witchcraft that uses bloody entrails and suspected witches are tortured and put to death in probably more detail than should be in a children's book.

Cruel magicks deemed "harmless" ... nope.  I realize M.C. was a girl in a misogynistic world, servant class, etc.  But still often petty and unthinkingly self-involved; an unlikable and often hypocritical bunch of unsympathetic characters.

The time period is an interesting one, as are some of the rare glimpses of Elizabeth (who here condones and even participates in witchcraft).  But that's more because I find that setting interesting than because this book made it interesting.

I should have DNF'ed.  What kept me going:  a quick enough read, reading during Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon, a library borrow meaning I read first, with unbelievably high reviews and recommendations from friends.  Seriously, what were they thinking to praise this?

ETA:  I should add that M.C. also keeps the (pretty much do everything for her even if against own beliefs and best interests) love interest dangling.