donealrice

Bring Me Their Hearts
Sara Wolf
House of Earth and Blood
Sarah J. Maas
A Selection of Designs inspired by Iznik & Delft Pottery in Cross Stitch: 16 stunning floral cross stitch designs
Durene Jones
Ain't Love a Witch?
Dakota Cassidy
Progress: 1 %
The Old Witcheroo
Dakota Cassidy
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) by Meg Cabot

Shadowland - Meg Cabot

This reader's personal opinion, ©2016, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by Google Play, Penumbra Publishing, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

Opened with a great premise, a tough-had-it-together-even-though-not-fitting-in heroine. Premise being that she was, unbeknownst to everyone, a "mediator" meaning could see dead people and help them cross over. Now with mom's new marriage moving from New York to California so getting new home, new school, new bunch of stepbrothers, etc. All was as interesting as it sounds with funny bits and lots of highlights.

Then devolved for me. Mediating apparently frequently meant she punched out ghosts, there was typical mean girl stuff (the rich pretty girl of course was the mean girl with a dead clique member being the school ghost), TSTL defying of adults and common sense leading to hospitalized bystanders, her suddenly fitting in and getting voted after a week ... and of course a love triangle rearing up with mean girl's bff's whitebread boyfriend and an in-house ghost Latino hottie with liquid brown eyes (somehow I doubt she's in a hurry to help him cross-over )...

It's a Meg Cabot book so well-written and humorous. But not for me so unlikely to continue series. (Library has it so I won't say "never going to continue" since would be a free read; but not interested at this time).

I would have rated it higher if the first chapters hadn't held such promise.

*©2016. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have posted on booklikes, goodreads, Leafmarks, and may have cross-posted to other book sites including kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)