donealrice

Bring Me Their Hearts
Sara Wolf
House of Earth and Blood
Sarah J. Maas
A Selection of Designs inspired by Iznik & Delft Pottery in Cross Stitch: 16 stunning floral cross stitch designs
Durene Jones
Ain't Love a Witch?
Dakota Cassidy
Progress: 1 %
The Old Witcheroo
Dakota Cassidy
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Cast in Honor" by Michelle Sagara

Cast in Honor (The Chronicles of Elantra) - Michelle Sagara

This reader's personal opinion, ©2016, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by Google Play, Penumbra Publishing, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

I liked it. But I've been hooked on this series from the beginning, almost obsessively. Absolutely not a series to read out of order.

I liked it. I really did. Sagara can write and always draw me in. But it read like just an episide, case or adventure in the life of Kaylin. Granted a Kaylin who has grown and is not so insular.

More murking around not knowing what's up with Nightshade (he and Severn and the other familiar characters seemed weirdly "faded" and absent from the story in favor of newer characters, even the few scenes with dragon Emperor made his character strangely passive), weird building and dimensional and "true name" explorations reminding me of the first-go-down-this-corridor-pick-a-direction-to-turn unending computer games alongside more shadow and elemental related stuff. Only made it murkier and less interesting by throwing a tiny twist into it

of some pockets of even murkier time disruption

(show spoiler)

Author is not helping us make sense or visualize any of this by writing still yet longer passages trying -- she needs to stop going on so long about the world layers, words and the true names because readers who follow the series already get it or don't (and at book 11 probably aren't likely going to have a sudden epiphany).

This is the last of this series I'll preorder. I can wait for remaining volumes to show up used or library borrow (I think only a couple more are planned?). Honestly, if hadn't been labeled as #11 of this series with familiar character names and author -- I'm not sure I would have liked it. Certainly no longer the same I felt about first few books where I actually put on my schedule when expected ebook preorder arrived knowing I would drop everything and could not be disturbed until woofed down in one sitting.

Oh ... and the case wasn't solved. I guess the formula works (mysterious villain, crisis that could destroy city/world, Kaylin ignorantly pulls words from the runes in her body and saves day). I don't feel the need to even put that comment about how Kayln saves the day inside a spoiler tag; anyone reading the series now knows that's what's going to happen.

*©2016. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have posted on booklikes, goodreads, Leafmarks, and may have cross-posted to other book sites including kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)