donealrice

Debbie's Spurts

One Salt Sea (October Daye #5)
Seanan McGuire
Magic Slays
Ilona Andrews
The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
Jennifer Estep

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Golden Lily" (Bloodlines #2) by Richelle Mead

The Golden Lily - Richelle Mead

This reader's personal opinion, ©2015, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

Get out the popcorn. I still like these quick books, still intrigued by Sydney and the whole Alchemist aspect. Finishing in one sitting means I cannot really rate it badly or complain about the writing; but, I did have mixed reactions to this one.

Pro: Did get to see more of Sydney's abilities. And the lack of social experience made for some funny moments, including the short-lived mini-me dating Trey sucked her into. Dimitri showed up with Sonya Karp to do pull Adrian in on the research on Strigoi and why Dimitri cannot be turned again. The high school setting took major backseat.

Con: No one really seemed themselves. Dimitri and Adrian as researchers was just odd. High school stuff was still odd for the storyline. Made odder by Sydney being moved away from Jill (Eddie and others sent to protect her still away from her even if boarding school campus) and an unfamiliar to Moroi powers-that-be (and completely untrained although Eddie tasked with training her) keeper chick, Angeline (?), now rooming with and body guarding Jill. Hard enough to swallow then add Dimitri not questioning or improving security measures on campus, at Adrian's apartment and out at the old Moroi's estate even after several incidents ... just couldn't suspend disbelief enough to go with that or adult out-of-nest-ran-alchemist-territories-alone Sydney in teenage mode (the dating and couple of kisses were fine just other aspects jarred). Cult-ish villains

(off shoot of medieval splintering of alchemists)

(show spoiler)

spring up out of nowhere. Sydney's general,acceptance of all kinds of shit and no one seeing anything coming ...

I'll read the next. Still interesting characters, alchemists and magic. Mentions Marcus Finch a renegade alchemist (not villain like Keith) so more conspiracy stuff like the cultish villains which I'm not fond of. (Hopefully not a love triangle with Sydney/Marcus/Adrian forthcoming after mess of Jill/Micah/Eddie/Angeline stuff this volume made--I have limits). Good, easy reads with problems and stuff I don't always like but free library borrows so I'll finish.

*©2015. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher to reprint/quote in whole or in part. Copyrightholder may have posted on booklikes, goodreads, Leafmarks, and may have cross-posted to other book sites. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)