donealrice

Molly Harper
The Hills Have Spies
Mercedes Lackey
Progress: 100 %
High Stakes Trial (Magical Washington #3)
Mindy Klasky
Progress: 100 %
Right Hand Magic (Golgotham #1)
Nancy A. Collins
Progress: 15 %
Sisters of the Raven
Barbara Hambly
Progress: 100 %
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
Heroine Worship
Sarah Kuhn

Favorite Book Quotes

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake"— Lois McMaster Bujold

Review of "Kings of the North" (Paladin's Legacy, #2; Paksenarrion Universe, #7) by Elizabeth Moon

Kings of the North - Elizabeth Moon

This reader's personal opinion, ©2015, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

I'm not ready to start another book yet.  Major book hangover from this one.  I know I stayed up way too late reading when I open to find things I highlighted/noted for this review and the text on ereader had been enlarged to a huge size.

"And as Paksenarrion is there, perhaps she will ride back

with me to Fin Panir to see the necklace."

This series is one of my favorite to read; this series is one of my least favorite to review.  Just hard to explain exactly why such a favorite.  I doubt any if my reviews for this series make a lot of sense. This one had more gnomes.

Pretty much "the gang's all here"; Paks only has a couple of cameos.  Predominantly Kieri, Dorrin, and Arcolin POVs.  The military engagements and politics, including eleven politics, and all the characters anyone following the series have come to on ow are still pretty much what we've come to know -- except not.

" 'What did you tell me when I was a boy?' Kieri said. 'Tired is a feeling, but duty is a fact, wasn't that it?' "

And in that "not" is an indication of just how gifted is the author.  How deftly she handles that so very much has developed.  So many twists.  So much new info on Old Aare, the Lady, the Elven Taig, the Regalia, gnimes, squires with both kings and new ones Dorrin takes on, the Magelords, the Marshalls and Granges, Pargun (we meet the Pargun King), the Paladins, the gnomes ... and all still so very much exactly in place for these characters and this world.

"Stammel took a typically Stammel approach to the practice."

The storyline never loses the reader.  Humbled Andressaat a bit; the pirate now wanna be conqueror Arulin heard of by his actions and envoys but not really making an appearance here.  Some races and gods long thought dead or hibernating ...

" ' I do not like cruelty," it [member of race new to series] said, ' but I will not tolerate discourtesy, and I am not fond of stupidity. ' "

plus more gnomes and gnimish powers and even the gnome King.

"Arcolin shrugged.  'These things do happen, you know.  I believe you'll do well if it does, but in the meantime, I do wear my helmet."

A rich, full epic fantasy with such a well-written storyline it can take a moment to realize how very detailed and developed the world-building, the characters, the military strategy and the story is.

"'…of the Fall of Aare and the King's Quest, as recorded by Mikeli himself in the fifth year of exile in the north ...' could this treasure have lain so long in his [Count Jeddrin Andressat] archives unrecognized?  Apparently so."

Did I mention gnomes?  And meeting the gnome King?

*©2015. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher to reprint/quote in whole or in part. Copyrightholder may have posted on booklikes, BookRabbit, goodreads, Leafmarks, The Reading Room and may have cross-posted to other book sites. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)